Have you seen the bodysuit trend that’s been gracing magazine covers in 2016? Everyone from Taylor Swift to Kendall Jenner to Emma Roberts is sporting this form-fitting style. Not just for festival goers and ballet dancers anymore, the bodysuit (think leotard or one-piece swimsuit with a snap, hook, or Velcro closure at the groin) has transformed into an amazing fashion “do.”
Check out all the different styles of bodysuits below as we show you how to wear a bodysuit like the best of them.
Why the Bodysuit Trend is So Popular
For starters, you can’t beat the smooth, chic look of a bodysuit. It hugs your body like a glove. Secondly, everyone and their famous friends have been seen sporting the bodysuit trend: Selena Gomez, Gigi Hadid, Vanessa Hudgens, and all the Kardashians, and that’s saying something.
- The fit is flattering. They’re the ideal “top” for high-waisted shorts, pants and pencil skirts. There’s no need for constant adjusting and tucking with a body-hugging bodysuit.
- The fabrics are super soft and comfy. Perfect for lounging around in the heat of summer, just slip on a denim skirt, grab your sunnies and sandals and you’re ready to go!
- And they’re just so sexy. Slip on a plunging V-neck bodysuit, short shorts and strappy high heels and work it, Queen.
Types of Bodysuits You’ll Want In Your Wardrobe
The versatility of the bodysuit is unbeatable. Thanks to the bodysuit trend rising in popularity, you can discover how to wear a bodysuit in form-fitting styles that suit your needs in tons of colors, cuts and fabrics.
- Scoop-neck and plunging necklines are available everywhere, but don’t forget to look for more unique lace-up, cutout and off-the-shoulder styles to stand out.
- Sleek, backless bodysuits pair well jeans or flowing skirts. Try contrasting skin-on-top to more fabric on the bottom to create balance in your outfit.
- Buy a long-sleeved turtleneck bodysuit to help summer dresses transition into autumn by pairing the look with tights, tall boots and plush sweaters.
- For those who dare to bare even more boldly, bodysuits are also available in leather, lace, and mesh. Think Ariana Grande in her black and silver miniskirt number in the “Focus” music video.
Ways to Wear a Bodysuit
With its transition from ballet dancer uniform to a multi-style piece ready to wear at a moment’s notice, the bodysuit trend is here to stay. Whether you’re gearing up for a night out or just want to look your best while grabbing groceries, the bodysuit has you covered.
- Go bohemian with a gauzy flowing skirt, a pastel bodysuit and flower crown. Don’t forget the fringe purse and sandals.
- Whether you’re busty or flat-chested, bodysuits expertly hold everything in place for a sleek silhouette. Pair with a smooth t-shirt bra for extra support or a lacy bralette for stylish coverage.
- Be a boss like Kim K. in a black bodysuit, black pencil skirt and fierce overcoat on your way to the office.
- Whether you favor skinny jeans or bootcut, the bodysuit trend pairs with denim like a match made in heaven.
- Pair a bodysuit with a pair of professional trousers and blazer to give traditional menswear a look that is uniquely feminine.
If you’re in the mood for a sleek new style that’s been approved by some of the leading fashion icons in music, movies and pop culture, the bodysuit is it. The bodysuit trend is far from over and learning to swap tops for this chic and body-hugging piece is easy. Take a look at 10 ways to wear a bodysuit below and let us know which ones are your favorite daytime and nighttime looks.
Featured photo: Annabelle Fleur shows sunny days are made for crisp white bodysuits with sexy crisscross necklines and high waisted jean shorts. With a coordinating scarf, sandals and sunnies, this modern 1970s look is ready to hit the beach.
Bodysuit: One Eleven by Express, Shorts: Express, Shoes: Marc Fisher LTD, Purse: CHLOE, Sunglasses and Bandana: One Eleven
Racquel Natasha is Express-ing herself in a style that beats the LA heat in this sexy, street-ready combo of a bold-colored backless, deep-V bodysuit and comfy and cuffed jean leggings, both from Express.
Bodysuit: One Eleven by Express, Pants: Express, Purse: Express, Bracelets: Express Taking menswear to a new level, Alexandra Hoang looks excellent in one of our favorite bodysuit trend styles. By pairing the form-fitting black bodysuit with calf-length pinstripe pants she creates a sleek and chic look. Add a matching blazer and you’re ready to work.
Bodysuit: NA-KD, Pants: NA-KD, Shoes: Lacquer
Blue and white and babe all over, Sharareh Sophia shows us how a bodysuit can be worn in any weather. Swap the short sleeves and plunging neckline for a long-sleeved knit bodysuit and jeans for a casual look that can be dressed up or down with any of your coats, hats, and other accessories.
Bodysuit: Nelly, Coat: Nelly, Shoes: Henry Kole, Hat: Want My Look, Watch: Nick Cabana
A short-sleeved bodysuit in a stylish neutral like black, white, or grey is an ideal outfit starter – It goes with everything. Just take a look at Christine Andrew looking fab in a stylish tan hat, jean shorts and bodysuit for a quick, anytime outfit.
Bodysuit: Express, Shorts: Express, Sweater: Express, Shoes: Nordstrom, Purse: ILY Couture, Hat: NordstromWe just love the way a white bodysuit pairs with denim! Sarah Butler can do no wrong with her denim mini and platform sandals when they’re paired with this unique tassel tie-front bodysuit from Express. And that circular, Capwell+Co statement necklace? We adore it.
Bodysuit: Express, Shorts: Express, Sweater: Express, Shoes: Nordstrom, Purse: ILY Couture, Hat: Nordstrom
Mirian Perez shows just how comfortable the bodysuit trend can be when paired with sneakers and her favorite jeans. Take a tip from Mirian and create a belt from a scarf to add color and design to an otherwise simple outfit. Perfect for strolls through campus or movie dates.
Bodysuit: Brandy Melville, Pants: Guess, Shoes: Victoria, Purse: Hakei, Bracelets: NiceBodysuits are chic enough for snapping photos and comfortable enough to spend a day downtown. As Elena Pellicano shows us, a white skirt and black bodysuit can work from day to night based on accessories, hair and makeup styling.
Bodysuit: Glamorous, Skirt: VILA
So chic, Jill Lansky shows how to wear a bodysuit with balance. Pairing a plunging neckline with classic grey culottes she teaches us how fit and flair works expertly with the bodysuit trend.
Bodysuit: American Apparel, Pants: J. Crew, Shoes: Zara, Sunglasses: Ray-Ban
Jill Wallace is channeling the modern hippie with brown suede boots, tasseled purse, and her peekaboo tie-front bodysuit from Privacy Please. Add a long, oversized sweater, knee-high boots and some wool-lined leggings and you could rock this look in any season.
Bodysuit: Privacy Please, Shorts: Revolve Clothing, Shoes: Matisse Footwear, Purse: Sancia