The smallest details can really make a huge difference to your outfit. Reminiscent of 1960s boho style, frayed edges on clothing are everywhere in 2016. Raw, artfully frayed seams look effortlessly casual and add an edge to your ensemble. From a subtly undone hem to tattered, fringed seams, this attention to detail in the tailoring can really elevate an outfit. And we don’t just mean ripped jeans – although frayed denim is a great way to start sporting this style. This micro-trend has truly taken off with designers getting creative and experimenting with covering shirts, dresses and skirts with rows of frayed edges.
How To Wear Frayed Denim
Frayed edges on denim is an easy, versatile style. It can also be paired up with a dressier ensemble.
- Pair your frayed jeans with more polished wardrobe pieces like a tailored blazer or a delicate silk blouse to stop your whole aesthetic becoming too DIY.
- Wear a pair of denim shorts with frayed edges with a striped top and some gladiator sandals.
- You don’t have to only go for jeans or shorts – a frayed denim skirt is a great all-purpose wardrobe piece. A longer pencil type denim skirt is a quirky and interesting addition to any outfit.
Creative Frayed Trends
It’s not just denim getting the tattered treatment – we’ve also seen shirts, skirts, and dresses of all fabrics.
- For summer, slightly frayed or fringed edges on a top are perfect for giving that laidback vibe. Choose a loose, white cropped top and pair it with a fedora, high waisted denim shorts and wedged sandals, for a look that’s sure to become your everyday summer staple
- Recently, frayed and fringed trims have not been confined to seams of skirts and trousers, as some brands have gone all out to produce some striking results.
- We’ve seen full on tassels on skirts and dresses, for a really unique and eye-catching look.
- An embellished frayed jacket makes for a fantastic statement piece. Wear it as a casual but edgy look with slouchy jeans and ankle boots.
Frayed edges on clothing are a perfect way to inject some laidback vibes into your summer wardrobe, and this style is so versatile it will always come in handy. How will you be wearing it this summer?
The featured photo: Mikuta could not look more chilled in this summer denim dress. A seemingly simple outfit is given a funky twist with its frayed edges, making this outfit an edgy look which we are obsessed with!
Dress: Steele, Shoes: Esprit, Bag: Ganni
Cara Loren is utterly entrancing in this gorgeous blue dress, complete with frayed detailing for an understated but glam style! Wear this look with sandals and sunnies to steal Cara’s look.
Outfit: Sole Society.
Paola Alberdi is casually elegant in a frayed edge oversize denim jacket, paired with distressed jeans and a pair of nude heels. This style is the perfect blend of edgy and swish; we love it!
Jacket: BB Dakota, Top: Revolve, Jeans: Zara.
Frayed edges are certain to add oozes of individuality to your look, and are perfect for creating an easy summer style! Consisting of a bell sleeved white blouse and a frayed denim skirt, this look is a great example of how to wear the trend. Via Storm and Andrea.
Blouse: Edited, Skirt: Mango, Bag: Gucci, Sneakers: Converse.
Want an alternative to a classic look? Diana Z. Wang rocks straight-cut jeans with awesome frayed edges, a chic burgundy blouse and some statement heels. A must have look this season.
Distressed Mid-Rise Slim Boyfriend Jeans/Silk Blouse: Acne Studios, Back Keyhole Sandal: Aquazzura
The frayed edges on this top really jazz up this knit top. Julie Sariñana sports this awesome trend with an adorable pinstripe skirt and some bold wedges.
Brands not specified.
Federica is effortlessly wearing the distressed trend; her cropped jeans match perfectly with the white top and black leather jacket. The frayed edges give this look a really casual feel, and we cannot get enough of it!
Top/Jeans: Zara, Sandals: Stradivarius, Jacket: Pull&Bear
Jenny Tsang puts a contemporary twist on a classic look; the denim skirt with its frayed edges create grungy vibes, and teamed with the flared white shirt and bold black boots, a bold look is created.
Shirt: Saks Fifth Avenue, Skirt: Nordstrom, Boots: Revolve
Frayed edges can really jazz up any look, and Pam Hetlinger certainly shows this! The frayed jeans and frayed coat really embellish this outfit. This is an ultra-stylish and achievable look, and we cannot wait to replicate it.
Coat: Intermix, Jeans/Shoes: Nordstrom