From silk to satin and loose to tailored, pyjamas as daywear has been the 2016 fashion trend we’ve seen all fashion bloggers, editors and street style stars work their magic on. Boudoir elegance is no longer restricted to the bedroom!
How To Wear The Pyjamas Trend
The key is to aim for stylish luxe, not lazy loungewear. Read our top tips to help you style the trend.
- To avoid looking like you’ve just rolled out of bed, stay away from cotton fabrics. Instead, go for soft silks and shiny satin shirts
- When choosing shirts, look for distinguishable pyjama details – we’re talking side piping, an open neckline and loose sleeves.
- Play with proportions to add more interest to your outfit. An oversized pyjama inspired shirt and skinny jeans are a match made in heaven.
- Finishing the sleepwear look off with heels is a must, keeping your look polished, classy and chic.
Ways To Accessorise Your Pyjama Inspired Look
Need some ideas on how to add those finishing touches? From jewelry to coats, we’ve got you covered:
- Jewelry is a great way to dress up your outfit day or night. Offset the soft fabrics with bold earrings, a statement ring or a boyfriend watch.
- Think the whole look is too feminine? Tough it up with a gold detail statement bag or leather clutch.
- Worried about how to add cover up a co-ord? Textured coats in faux fur or a belted kimono will keep the look current and sophisticated.
- Pairing your pyjama inspired piece with a bold red lip or a pair of shades adds just the perfect touch of glam.
When To Wear The Pyjamas Trend
The pyjamas trend is both versatile and comfy, so whether you’re running errands or heading to a work meeting – we guarantee your outfit will turn heads for the right reasons!
- For brunch with the girls, team up a blush pink shirt with your favourite blue jeans and nude gladiators.
- To turn heads in a boardroom, opt for a blazer kimono with tailored trousers and a dash of red lippie.
- A night out in the town calls for a silk black pyjama inspired shirt teamed with leather trousers and killer heels.
- Shop til you drop with a loose fitting co-ord pyjama set, clean white vest and platform sandals.
Still not convinced? See how our style bloggers have made the Pyjama look their own.
Jessica R. is an absolute vision in this understated slip dress, in a beautiful shade of rose gold. Pairing this dress with knitwear and heels, Jessica has totally captured the essence of the pyjama trend.
Dress: Amazon, Cardigan: Tennorth, Heels: Schutz.
Ashley Torres is wearing a gorgeous pink slip dress in a classic pyjama style, paired with a denim jacket and matching blush pink heels for a cool, sophisticated look.
Dress: Zara, Jacket: Just Fab, Bag: YSL, Heels: Steve Madden.
Camille Callen looks edgy and alternative in this pyjama style smock, worn with distressed jeans and a pair of retro shades. This style is perfected with silver jewellery and a simplistic watch.
Jeans/Top: H&M, Shoes: Celine.
A little lace fringed dress will always afford you a sexy, feminine style which is adaptable and will work with almost anything. Throw a leather jacket on over yours and try the new and in demand pyjama style like Ms Treinta.
Dress: Buylevard, Biker Jacket/Boots/Hat: Zara, Bag: Formula Joven.
Emilie Tømmerberg has got it all in this gorgeous crimson dress, paired with simple sandals and a pair of shades. This look needs no accessorising, the beautiful silk dress is enough for us to love it!
Brands not specified.
Featured Photo: Lolita Masagutova stays elegant by styling her pyjamas inspired co-ord with strappy heels and a statement bag. We love the boyfriend watch too, which adds a touch of daintiness to the whole look.
Shirt: Zara Studio, Pants: Dorothy Perkins, Heels: Zara, Watch: Thomas Sabo, Bag: Valentino
Izortze Setien rocks an elegant smart casual style consisting of a silk Zara kimono and a white shirt dress, paired with black stilettos and a red toe for a splash of colour. Wear this look with shades to bring the entire style together.
Shirt/Sandals: Zara, Dress: Gestuz, Bag: Celine.
Jess Ann Kirby wears her blush nude pyjama shirt with distressed shorts, finishing off the perfect feminine summer look with beachy waves and gladiator sandals.
Shirt: Topshop, Short: Topshop, Shoes: Steve Madden, Watch: Larsson & Jennings, Bag: Coach (All items from Nordstrom)
Julietta Kuczyńska looks super sleek with a dressing gown blazer in classic Parisian inspired monochrome. The minimal slingback heels and leather pants top off her cool and confident oufit. Love.
Shoes: ZARA, Jacket & Blouse: ZARA, Pants: Denimbox, Ring Swarovski, Bag: Parfois
Carla Estévez Marcos takes on the pyjama trend with a flowy satin long shirt. Styled with loose culottes, metallic heels and a crisp white tee, we think this look is perfect for that all important day to night transition
Long shirt: Zara, Culottes: Zara, Bag: Ralph Lauren, Heels: Zara
Pam Hetlinger plays with proportions by teaming up her silk oversized pyjama inspired shirt with ripped skinny jeans. She adds some height with lace up heels and a trusty leather biker jacket for that flawless city style.
Top: Mango, Jeans: Asos, Watch: Chanel, Necklace: The Girl From Panama x Mejuri, Heels: Aquazzura
Streamline the pyjama trend with a tailored blazer and tie waist detail. Silvia Zamora sprinkles a touch of luxury with a structured leather bag and oversized shades.
Pyjama jacket: Zara, Jeans: Zara, Shoes: más34, Bag: YSL
Marrying this season’s two big trends – fringe jeans and pyjamas, Diana Z. Wang tucks hers in for a funky original look. A cross body bag and elf heels round off the look which just screams individuality.
Pyjama set: Neiman Marcus, Jeans: Acne, Heels: Stella McCartney, Bag: Loewe
Saray Martín teams her co-ord pyjamas with metallic strappy sandals and a slick ponytail. Accessorizing with a leather clutch bag and a red lip, we love this perfect ‘I just threw this on’ look.
All items: Bershka
Storm styles her pyjama shirt with a midi skirt and sneakers. By adding a pair of sunglasses, a designer bag and dainty jewelry, she channels effortless cool.
Blouse: & Other Stories X Rodarte, Skirt: 3.1 Phillip Lim, Sneakers: Converse, Bag: Céline