A timeless feminine symbol, lately the choker necklace is seeing a serious revival. One of the signature styles of 2016, this important moment in fashion can’t be missed. We’ll show you how to play up this versatile accessory to express yourself and join the league of fashion royalty.
Should I Wear A Choker?
An iconic accessory throughout the ages, chokers bring us visions of Disney princesses and the casual chic of 90’s grunge. Today, we’re seeing countless styles, from the extravagant floral jewels of Oscar de la Renta to the fearless gothic pendants of Fenty x Puma by Rihanna. Whether transforming a simple outfit or adding an elegant detail, this accessory does it all.
- Chokers enhance your natural beauty by accentuating the structure of your jaw, cheeks and collar bones. Experiment with different widths to find the styles to best complement your features.
- Go from office to cocktail hour by layering more mixed-media pieces over your simple black choker.
- Chokers give new life to old treasures from your jewelry box. Layer with other lengths of necklaces or play around by attaching different pendants and charms.
- If you’re a lover of fabrics and textiles, put your own DIY spin on this trend by cutting an old silk scarf lengthwise, or re-fashioning a bandana.
- Embrace the raw crystal and gem trend. Many styles of chokers incorporate crystals, or slide on your own teardrop shaped quartz pendant.
What To Wear With A Black Choker
A classic black choker is a great place to start, and can easily become your new daily staple. Instantly transform a plain black choker into a high-fashion statement by adding your own pendant. From day to night, we see black chokers in every context. Here are some of our favorites.
- Black Shoelace Choker: Wrapped around two or three times with a small bow, pair the casual black shoelace choker with a stone-washed jean jacket, Vans and a plaid
- Black Velvet Choker: Black velvet turns your party dress into a holiday treat, and looks especially luxurious with jewel tones like emerald or ruby.
- Black and Lavender: Pair a black choker with a breezy blouse in a floral shade of lilac, lavender or orchid. Play up this cool contrast of hard and soft by adding a black leather jacket.
- Black and White: For a sophisticated and modern look, wear a slim black choker with a creamy ivory blouse or simple white tee.
Choker Outfit Ideas
No matter your personal style, a choker is sure to complement your coveted wardrobe. The trick is to find the right proportions. During the colder seasons, a thick choker can serve as an extension of your scarf or high-collared jacket or, wear it over a turtleneck. Balance a plunging neckline, deep v-neck or off-the-shoulder blouse with multi-wrap or layered style.
- Layering lots of mixed-media pieces is so trendy right now. Choose pieces with shells, beads and gems to compliment the relaxed sensuality and low neckline of a nude or earth-toned slip dress.
- Large metallic cuff chokers are high-fashion warrior chic. For a night out, couple this bold accessory with a black strapless dress and sleek ponytail.
- A leather belt-style choker is an ultra-modern twist on the utility trend. To streamline this style, take it to the office with a classic button-up shirt, cigarette pants and pumps.
- The scarf-style choker, like we’ve seen in Dior’s collection, is super easy to DIY. You can wear these thick or thin– with ends hidden in the back, knotted and dangling in the front, or in a flirty oversized bow. A lightweight scarf choker looks fresh with a breezy sundress and wedges.
- A faux fur choker adds a dose of luxury to cozy fall and winter styles. Wear a fur choker with a high-necked trench coat, leggings and ballet flats.
- Re-purpose a bandana by tying it around your neck with a cute asymmetrical knot. So bad it’s good, this look is especially cool with a leather jacket, distressed skinny jeans and studded biker boots.
- Feel like a queen in an extravagant diamond choker. These dynamic pieces can be dressed up or down, but we especially like its sophisticated richness with a crisp black blazer and stilettos.
Whether your agenda includes a museum gallery show or packing a picnic lunch for the park, we hope our ideas will inspire you to incorporate the choker trend into your look. Let us know, what is the most creative way that you wear a choker? What are your favorite designer choker styles from the runway?
Featured photo: Olive green brings military chic to streetwear, polished off by a matching watch and crisp white sneakers. A simple black choker is paired with a delicate silver chain, complemented by the open neck of this soft black blouse. Via Kristin Sundberg.
Jacket and Shirt: Cubus, Bag: Givenchy, Sunglasses: Rayban
Camila Coelho keeps it casual in a pair of distressed denim jeans, a white tee, and a classic boyfriend style cardigan. Wear this look with a choker to get that retro edge which Camila has captured!
Sandals: Carmen Steffens, Jeans: BDG Denim, Maxi-Cardigan: Carol Bassi.
Kenza Zouiten has paired her choker with a simplistic fall style, consisting of a burgundy overcoat, knitted sweater, and denim jeans. Wear a look such as this with a choker to get this cool street style.
Chokers are a must-have for fall and winter! Simplistic yet chic, this look consists of a graphic print tee, jeans, and a pair of white sneakers. Via Christine Andrew.
Outfit: ILY Couture.
Petra Karlsson pairs a simple black choker with a translucent wrap dress and embellished leather jacket. The deep burgundy of this stunning dress is the height of drama and romance.
Dress and Choker: Zaful.com, Jacket: Urban Outfitters
The thick width of this black choker is perfectly balanced by a streamlined hairstyle and sunglasses. Embracing the t-shirt under dress trend, Janni Delér is sporty chic.
Sunglasses: RayBan, Choker: Na-Kd, Shirt: Bik Bok, Dress: Nelly, Bag: Chanel, Shoes: Senso
Jeans and a t-shirt aren’t so simple with the inspired addition of leather. Kristin Sundberg rocks a sleek ponytail and even sleeker collarless leather jacket.
Jeans: Chiquelle, T-shirt: Aplace, Jacket: Modström, Shoes: Jennie-Ellen, Bag: Givenchy, Choker: Na-kd, Sunglasses: Rayban
Jill Lansky is dreamy in a muted slip dress and earth-toned accessories. Her casual hairstyle and smoky eye look sensual with a layered black choker and subtle pearl pendant.
Dress and Choker: Express, Bag: A.P.C.
Expertly styled in a wrapped choker, Pam Hetlinger is chic in black, white and straps all over. Even her white toenail polish matches!
Dress and Vest: BB Dakota, Shoes: Aquazzura, Bag, Sunglasses and Belt: Céline, Choker: Nordstrom
Bag: Saint Laurent, Shoes: Converse, Jeans: Levi’s, Shirt and Jacket: ASOS
At the height of casual luxury, Jess Ann Kirby pairs a multi-layered choker with gold tassels with a deep v-neck trench dress. We want to join her for brunch by the seaside!
Trench dress: AYR, Choker: Capwell, Jeans: Paige Denim, Bag: Brahmin
Lisa Olsson is a goddess in this chic bronze and nude ensemble, highlighted by plenty of gold jewellery and a tan velvet choker. The oversized volume of her sweater is balanced by showing off her legs in a little slip dress.
Shoes: Converse, Dress: Sisters The Label, Bag: Chanel, T-shirt and Choker: ASOS, Cardigan: Lindex.
Ready for a Sunday morning stroll downtown, Lizzy van der Ligt sports white sneakers, a denim jacket, and subdued horizontal stripes in heather grey. This versatile Fallon choker is an excellent touch, combining diamond vines and leather strips.
Dress: Lou & Grey Vintage, Sneakers: Kenneth Cole, Choker: Fallon, Sunglasses: Quay
Showing off playful streetwear, Larisa Costea accessorizes slim white jeans with a quilted red cross-body, nude pumps and plenty of jewellery. Her adorable off-the-shoulder peasant top is balanced by two slim black chokers.
Shirt: Chicwish, Jeans: Zara, Shoes: Kurt Geiger, Bag: Concept 15, Watch: MVMT, Chokers: Shein and Miss Mary a Little
Gold is everything for Kenza Zouiten in this rockstar-worthy wardrobe, featuring an ultra embellished leather jacket, lace-up blouse and chainlink choker. Can you believe these amazing heels?
Pants, Jacket, Choker and Shoes: Ivyrevel, Blouse: Ginatricot, Bag: Chanel, Sunglasses: Prada, Watch: Larsson & Jennings
A vision in purple, Paola Alberdi balances the volume of this retro gingham blouse with slim, frayed denim and a white and gold choker. We love how her sunglasses are channelling style icon Penny Lane.
Choker and Shirt: Shopbop, Shoes: Aquazzura, Bag: Céline