The crisp autumn breeze has us running to our closets for the coziest sweaters. This season, pair your favourite knits with a skirt for a playful and feminine look. With infinite combinations of texture, contrast and fit, we’ll show you how this look is sure to brighten even the rainiest day.
Play With Components
When you think of autumn, do you immediately think of layering? So do we. The typical cooler shades and earth-tones seem to mix together magically, and also let you indulge by piling on all your favourite pieces. Together, a skirt and sweater can provide the perfect basis to incorporate your treasured autumn accessories in a fresh way.
- Have a legwear moment. Tights and leggings offer a great opportunity to experiment with colours, patterns and lace. If you’ve been reading the Pantone report, imagine the lovely contrast of Airy Blue, Riverside, Aurora Red or Dusty Cedar with your basic greys and browns.
- Wear your coveted over-the-knee boots with a miniskirt and large knit sweater. Forget the tights with this look and leave a tiny peek of thigh between skirt and boot.
- Super-thick wool socks can actually make your legs look slimmer. Go bohemian: layer a sweater and longer, flowing skirt with bare legs and big socks bunched up around your ankles.
- Tie a sweater around your shoulders or waist. Wear a preppy sweater around the shoulders with your office uniform of a collared shirt and pencil skirt. Alternatively, a chunky sweater tied around the waist of a skirt gives a warm, casual feel.
- If you love vintage, you probably frequent second-hand stores. Oversized sweaters with extra-long sleeves are in—try checking the men’s section for inexpensive and unexpected finds.
- If you’re doubting the selection of skirts in your wardrobe, reach for a dress instead. A simple cotton tank dress looks cool and laid-back under a big sweater.
Get Your Proportions Right
Balance is key. Basically, choose the features you want to emphasize, and harmonize the look by downplaying other elements. This means a short or skin-tight skirt will look better with a heavier, looser sweater. Conversely, the volume of an A-Line or maxi skirt can be offset by a wearing a fitted cardigan or turtleneck. Equilibrium is essential for colour and texture as well. A monochrome skirt will balance the bold pattern of a sweater, while a simpler knit sweater will look great with an embellished skirt.
- Try a long cardigan. A lengthier style of cardigan (think mid-thigh or longer) can be paired with a short, slim skirt. Even better if the cardigan hangs past the skirt, and wear it open or unbuttoned for a stylish effect.
- Wear an oversized scarf, wrap or horse blanket over a fitted black, or other monochrome sweater. A slim top balances the volume of the scarf, and will look great with any style of skirt.
- To make your legs look longer, wear a short cropped sweater with a flirty pleated or ballerina skirt that fits up around the waist.
- For an eighties inspired ensemble, embrace the off-the-shoulder sweater trend and add a leather miniskirt, or one embellished with sequins or fringe.
- Look artistic and mellow by wearing a big knit poncho with a corduroy mini and chunky brown boots.
Skirt And Sweater Outfits & Ideas
Daytime or evening, feel comfy and look enchanting in a sweater and skirt. Incorporate trends of the season, like open weaves, translucency, florals, metallics and ultra-casual gym sweatshirts. Whether you’re headed to class, an important meeting or a tranquil Sunday brunch, these ideas will put a spring in your step.
- For a flattering and versatile look, wear an oversized oatmeal-coloured knit top with a simple grey tube skirt and translucent black hosiery or tights. Dress up these neutrals by adding a sparkly statement necklace or tall boots.
- Try a turtleneck under your go-to jean jacket. Along with a short A-line skirt and high-heeled ankle boots, this look is girlish and classic.
- Don’t put your sneakers away quite yet– for a sporty streetwear vibe, combine your Adidas with a maxi skirt and bomber jacket.
- Channel your inner fifties babe with a circle skirt and cardigan. Style it with a high pony tail, and your classiest kitten heels or sling backs.
- For date night, look playful in a graphic cotton crewneck, along with a leather mini and bright contrast ankle booties.
- Love animal prints? Wear a sleek animal print skirt with a black sweater and comfy Sherpa-lined boots for casual glamour.
- To look sweet and sensual, get dolled up in a plush cream-coloured sweater with a satin skirt in a pastel shade such as blush or light blue.
This winter, give your leggings a break and go for the ease and vogue of a skirt + sweater combo. Are you a miniskirt girl or a queen of the fit-and-flare? Let us know your favourite way to style and accessorize a skirt and sweater.
Featured Photo: Julie Sarinana looks fresh and energetic in stoplight red and pottery brown. Her tie-up gladiator sandals are embellished perfectly to complement this daytime look.
Sweater, Skirt, Bag and Sandals: Sezane
Stephanie Mooney is rocking the sweater and skirt combo, creating a charmingly preppy style which we adore! Wear a similar look with leather buckled boots to steal the edgy touch Stephanie has created.
Brands not specified.
Stephanie Mooney shows us exactly how to wear the sweater and skirt combo here. Pair two similar pieces with striking ankle boots and a leather mini bag to steal Stephanie’s glamorous style!
Sweater: Elliatt, Shoes: M. Gemi.
This really is a foolproof way to style a tweed skirt! Pam Hetlinger looks totally cute in this winter style consisting of a white knitted sweater and a wrap around tweed skirt, brought together with a pair of striking over the knee boots and some shades. We absolutely adore this simple style.
Skirt: Storets, Sweater: LPA via Revolve, Boots: Delman, Bag: Gucci.
Jess Ann Kirby has created a cosy and authentic fall style by combining a knitted sweater and wrap around mini skirt. This look includes two of the hottest trends; knitwear and mini skirts!
Skirt: French Connection, Sweater: Revolve, Boots: Barneys.
Andi refines the sweater and skirt trend in a super cosy knit jumper paired with a mini skirt and suede boots, finished off with a wide brimmed hat. We love the elegant simplicity of this style!
Knit: Acne Studios, Hat: Janessa Leone, Boots: Dicker.
Federica L. has created a seriously cute fall style here in a knitted sweater and pleated skirt. Wear this look with plain sneakers to capture these casual, seasonal vibes.
Try wearing an oversized knitted sweater with a mini skirt for a new twist on the trend! Jackie wears this look with black booties and a matching leather tote for a stylish monochrome aesthetic!
Sweater: Zara, Skirt: Aritzia, Boots: Rebecca Minkoff.
Arielle Nachami is gorgeous in grey, pairing a knitted sweater with a super cute mini skirt and thigh high boots for a sophisticated seasonal look! Wear this style with shades to capture the cool, casual vibes Arielle is rocking!
Sweater: Otte NY, Skirt: Zara, Boots: Barney’s.
Anoushka Probyn has created a super cute look by combining a knitted sweater with a statement mini skirt, and we love it! Try an outfit similar to this with Chelsea boots to copy this gorgeous fall style.
Jumper: Boden, Skirt: Second hand, Boots: Kurt Geiger, Bag: Topshop.
Silvia Garcia has created the ultimate ‘comfy chic’ style here, pairing a cosy cream sweater with a pleated midi skirt and Chelsea boots. Keep the colour palette neutral to copy Silvia’s aesthetic!
Boots: Clarks, Sweater: Sézane, Skirt: Zara, Jacket: Levi’s, Brooch: Chanel, Bag: Chloè.
Arielle Nachami is vintage chic in a corduroy skirt and suede booties. We love the way her colourful horizontal stripes enliven the shades of navy in this look.
Boots: Stuart Weitzman
Pam Hetlinger looks like a million bucks in a creamy sweater and polished fit-and-flare skirt. She tops the look off with killer lace-up stilettos.
Sweater and Skirt: Fashion Bunker, Shoes: ASOS, Sunglasses: Prada, Purse: Reiss
A stylish leather jacket enhances this comfortable and versatile look. Adriana Gastelana ops for a charming top-knot bun, oversized bag and clean white sneakers.
Jacket and Skirt: Stradivarius, Sweater: Shein, Bag: Mansur Gavriel, Sunglasses: Karen Walker, Shoes: Jil Sander
Erica Hoida is pretty in a pink leather skirt and petals on her heels. An oversized sweater and dewy makeup gives this style a dreamy, natural feel.
Sweater: Designer’s Remix, Skirt: Topshop, Shoes: Rupert Sanderson, Bag: Chloe
Jacqueline Mikuta embraces contemporary style with a chunky cropped sweater, leather midi skirt and sequined sneakers. Delicate metallic details play up the contrasting textures in this street-ready look.
Sweater and Skirt: Verge Girl, Shoes: Sam Edelman, Sunglasses: ZeroUV
In hot over-the-knee suede boots and a pleated leather skirt, Amy Jackson accessorizes this cool-girl fashion with a cross-body bag and wide-brimmed fedora.
Boots: Stuart Weitzman, Sunglasses: Celine, Handbag: Saint Laurent
We’re loving Leonie Sophie in her soft neutrals. This poised daytime look features an oversized heather grey sweater and over-the-knee boots to die for.
Sweater: H&M, Skirt: Pinko, Boots: Stuart Weitzman, Bag: Gucci, Sunglasses: Jimmy Choo
A vision in black and cream, Kirsten Sundberg dawns a zip leather skirt, retro sunglasses and an oversized knit sweater. Bare legs and high-heeled booties accentuate the edginess of her street style.
Sweater: Chiquelle, Skirt: River Island, Boots: Jennie-ellen, Bag: Chloé, Sunglasses: Rayban, Necklace: Na-kd
Mastering L.A. street style, Aimee Song plays hard and soft in a laced leather skirt and oversized boatneck sweater.
Sweater: Nili Lotan sweater, Boots: Kenzo, Bag: Rag + Bone, Sunglasses: Celine
Aimee Song rocks leather, studs and a sleek black turtleneck. Her pink lip adds the perfect pop of girlish cool.
Jacket and Skirt: McQ Alexander McQueen, Sweater: Revolve, Boots: Via Spiga, Sunglasses: Jimmy Choo
Silky bronze has never looked so effortless than with classic white sneakers and a baggy charcoal sweater. Via Jamie J Chung.
Skirt and Sweater: Elizabeth and James, Shoes: Barneys, Sunglasses: Shopbop