Currently frog-marching its way back to the high street, the military jacket returns as a hot-ticket favourite this season. This jacket is no stranger to the catwalk and has been spotted in recent fashion shows from Gucci to Burberry (the original maker of the trench coat). Inspiration for designers this season comes from 18th century French and British uniforms, navy trench and peacoats, and navy jackets.
So what can you expect?
Like the band jackets worn by rock stars like Jimi Hendrix or Michael Jackson, the more “embellished” jackets use the bling of gold buttons, braiding and rope. If this doesn’t take your fancy, other designers have adopted silhouettes with simple brass buttons, or simple piping around pockets and necklines. Whatever your preference, there is a military jacket for everyone. The only restriction is your imagination.
Styles Of The Military Jacket You’ll Want In Your Wardrobe
The key aim is to find a military jacket that suits your style this season. Read our list of top tips to help you in selecting that one military jacket that is a must for your wardrobe. Consider the following tips when searching for the perfect look.
- Double breasted is all the rage, but single buttoned tailored silhouettes are popular alternatives
- God is in the detail – if you love a bit of drama and glamour find a military jacket that is embellished with gold braid on the sleeves, epaulettes and jacket front
- For those of us who prefer the “less is more approach”, consider a military inspired jacket with gold flat round buttons down the front and on the sleeve
- Play with proportions. Consider the peacoat for a boxier, shorter military jacket, with its characteristic vertical pockets in the front
- Consider a slimmer silhouette for a sexier look, or a tailored jacket for work
- Looking for a more casual style? Consider an oversized military jacket with less tailoring
- For outerwear look no further than the trench – decide on whether you would prefer ankle length or mid-thigh. Either is an acceptable length for protecting us from the elements
- What about a sleeveless jacket that fastens through the front with brass buttons?
- Also consider colour- blue, black and red are more common, but burgundy is on the rise. Or why not inject a burst of colour with a poppy red/orange?
- Consider wool, leather and denim.
Ways To Wear The Military Jacket
If you have already bought a military jacket, or are seriously considering doing so, here are some helpful tips on ways to make the most of your look.
- For a causal look, wear a pair of distressed jeans, ripped or not, with an oversized military blazer
- Dress up your tailored military jacket with matching suit trousers or skirts for work
- Add a silk shirt and wide legged pant to wear under a trench coat
- Wear a bra-let under your double breasted military jacket, with skinny pants and hair out on your next romantic night out
- Match up a jacket with a mini skirt to be right on trend. Wear a pair of shorts instead to create a more preppy look
- Create a monochromatic look from head to toe, adding accents of gold in its buttons and belts
- Wear a shirt dress under your military jacket, nipped in at the waist with a narrow belt
- Add coloured shirts to complement the colour of braid on the sleeve
- Wear nautical stripes in t-shirts or shirts to enhance the military theme
- Layer the look with a light-weight military jacket and a trench coat for outdoors
Adding The Right Shoes And Accessories To Your Military Jacket
Accessories are minimal, given the military jacket accessories itself. Consider your choice of shoes, bags and glasses to complement your look.
- For a more business approach, add a serious loafer or pump to a military jacket and pair of cropped trousers
- Add a pair of trainers or slip-ons for a casual look
- Try a strappy heel with tight leather pants and tailored military jacket
- Add accents of gold to sunglasses, handbag straps, bracelets or watches to coordinate with the gold buttons in an all-black outfit
- Wear a pair of over-the-knee black boots with a short dress or skirt, and military blazer
- Wear your military jacket with pants and an ankle boot in suede, black or brown
- Accessorise with aviators to keep the military theme alive. Failing that consider oversize dark sunglasses.
These tips will help you decide on the perfect military jacket for you this season. Play around with the large choice of styles, colours, lengths and cuts until you find the perfect jacket to style and make your own. Whatever you choose, chose the right shoe to make a killer statement wherever you go. So go forth, keep calm and soldier on!
Featured Photo: Paola Alberdi has created a monochromatic look, with accents of gold in both the buttons and braiding of this military jacket. She places the jacket over a ribbed knit dress and finishes the look with patent heeled ankle boots and Ray Ban aviators.
Jacket: Storets, Dress: UK Glamorous, Sunglasses: Raybans, Chloe: Handbag, Shoes: Max Mara
Annabelle Fleur is sharp and sophisticated in this three quarter length military coat, worn over denim jeans for a classic everyday style. Pair this look with patent leather boots to capture Annabelle’s vibe!
Coat: Saint Laurent.
Marianna Mäkelä is rocking the military trend in a double breasted khaki coat, with striped detailing on the sleeves. Wear a similar style with skinny jeans or black leggings to capture Marianna’s authentic winter look!
Coat: Hilfiger, Boots: Primeboots, Bag: Céline, Scarf: BeckSöndergaard.
Jacey Duprie creates a stunning contrast between floral prints and military style here, in a winter style which is perfect for any occasion! Wear this look with tights or culottes to add that utterly feminine touch.
Dress: Samantha Pleet, Jacket: Intermix, Bodysuit: Trois, Bag: Mansur Gavrie, Boots: Manolo Blahnik.
Dare to wear the military style this season! Michelle demonstrates just how striking this look can be, pairing a classic double breasted blazer with a mini dress and thigh high socks for a gorgeous retro style.
Coat/Socks: Frame, Dress: Blella Luxx, Shoes: Kurt Geiger.
Mary Orton has created a strikingly androgynous aesthetic here, by wearing an A line double breasted military coat, paired with jeans and a white shirt. This look is perfect for everyday wear, or can be further formalised for work!
Coat: Mango, Jeans: Levi’s, Shirt: old, Shoes: Jimmy Choo.
A military style jacket is a must have this fall! Try pairing this piece with cropped jeans, stilettos and a turtleneck top to steal Annabelle Fleur’s strikingly androgynous style.
Coat/Jeans: Rag & Bone, Bag: Gucci.
Marianna Mäkelä is rocking the military jacket trend here, pairing this navy piece with thigh high boots and a white hoodie, creating a striking contrast which we love!
Coat: Gina Tricot, Hoodie: H&M, Jeans: Zara, Boots: Stuart Weitzman, Bag: Fendi.
Barbora Ondrackova is looking uber sophisticated in this monochrome outfit, consisting of black over the knee boots to match a polo neck top and mini skirt. Wear this style with a hat like Barbora’s to capture the individuality of this look.
Top: Proenza Schouler, Skirt: Zara, Boots: Stuart Weitzman, Bag: Chloe.
This sleeveless blazer softens the military jacket staple this season. Teamed with a pair of black leather pants, and a gorgeous pair of strappy heels, Nada Adellè adds femininity and sophistication to this outfit. The silver rounded buttons and the bag chain add accents to this all black outfit.
Sleeveless Blazer: Boohoo, Cami Top: Forever 21, Leather Pants: Asos, Blake Heels: Public Desire, Croc Chain Bag: Zara, Sunglasses: La Moda
A chic combination of hot-ticket items this season, Olivia Palermo has married a black military jacket with a turtleneck blouse and leather trousers. The gold buttons of this double breasted jacket and the amazing silver clutch add contrast to this black ensemble. The look is finished of with a pair of gorgeous fringed booties.
Blazer: Reiss, Turtleneck blouse: Chloe, Denim trousers: Paige, Fringe ankle boots: YSL, bag: Meli Melo
This cropped military jacket adds a feminine silhouette to this outfit. Annabelle Fleur coordinates a red shirt with the braiding on the jacket sleeve and detail in the bag. Paired with a slim legged jean and a navy long trench this look is fashionable in any weather.
Milford navy suit jacket: Etoile Isabel Marant, Oakland B trench coat: Theory, cropped slim-leg jeans & blouse: Frame, Tango pump Valentino | Dionysus embroidered shoulder bag: Gucci, Rings: Rachel Zoe
Christine Andrew teams up a pair of ripped slim jeans and grey turtleneck in this classy yet casual styling of the military jacket. This combination softens the impressive braiding of the jacket sleeve and is finished with a simple boot and small shoulder bag.
Embellished Blazer: Phantom, Grey sweatshirt: Ten Sixty Sherman, Black quilted cross-body: Chanel, Jeans: AG, Reyes black ankle boots: Sam Elderman, Super Duper Strength Sunglasses: Karen Walker
Silvia Zamora’s look is both chic yet causal. Her military jacket is paired with high-waisted distressed jeans, a dark sweater and to die-for blue suede ankle boots. The gold piping and buttons are major players this season.
Military jacket: La Condesa, Sweater: Zara, Jeans: Levi’s, Vintage bag: Gucci Dionysus boots: IKKS
Blair Eadie zhooshes up the traditional military jacket in a hit of poppy red. She add black leather trousers under this long jacket and finishes the look with coordinated accessories and shoes. Her bob cut and oversized sunnies further “chic” this look up.
Jacket: model’s own collection. purse: Tony Birch “Robinson Tote”, Pumps: Tony Burch, Pants: Current/Elliot, Sunglasses: Karen Walker
We adore this military jacket in all its simplicity. Pam Hetlinger develops this look with a simple shift dress, thin gold belt and over-the-knee boots. Dark glasses and a black shoulder bag finish this simple chic outfit.
Military Jacket: Pam Hetlinger, Crepe shift dress: Felicity &Coco, Skinny Stretch Leather Belt: Halogen, Highland Over the Knee Boot: Stuart Weitzman, Gradient lens sunglasses: Prada
Brittany Xavier has combined the elements of this nautical-themed ensemble in a youthful and refreshing away. The military jacket, elegant white top and tailored short add a preppy feel to this outfit.
Blazer and shorts: Banana Republic, Shoes and bag: Zara Sunglasses: Ray-Ban
We love this more causal take on the military jacket. Natalia Cabezas breaks from the usual navy in favour of a red jacket. Worn over ripped black denims, a sweater, and black ankle boots, this jacket is uber-stylish.
Jacket: Ewigem, Sweater and jeans: Zara, Boots: Mango, Bag: Michael Kors, Sunglasses: Ray Ban
This classic nautical look will turn heads in any café. Paola Alberti has teamed up a striped top, navy military jacket and mini skirt with braiding and gold buttons. This outfit is finished with a pair of heeled mules.
Military Blazer and skirt: Storets, Mules: Saks, Sunglasses: Vintage
Sara Escudero’s simple military-inspired jacket, with its large flat buttons, is worn over a red turtleneck and black pants. She wears burgundy sandals, but try adding black ankle boots to keep dry in the winter.
Blazer: Reiss, Top: ASOS, Sandals: Reiss, Earrings: Topshop
Worn with skinny leather trousers, a black bra-let and sleek suede sandals, Nada Adellè transforms the traditional military jacket into a seriously sexy look. A croc bag, simple jewellery and aviators accessorise a tailored and feminine look.
Buttoned Blazer: Boohoo, Strappy Bralet: Boohoo Leather Trousers.: Bracelets: Betty and Biddy, Suede Sandal: Saint Laurent, Croc Bag: H&M
Beatrice Gutu opts for an understated look that heroes this military jacket. She wears it over a lightweight sweater and jeans, and accessorizes the look with black slip-ons and a vintage bag.
Military blazer: Marks & Spencer, knit: Les Petites, Jeans: LTB, Shoes: Mango, Bag: Vintage
Ilirida’s ensemble brings together the military coat, re-emerging mini and over-the knee boots. Accents of silver in the buttons and the bag chain add an elegance to the overall look.
Jacket: Zara, Boots: Missguided, Skirt and shirt: H&M, Bag: Zara, Watch: Arne Jacobsen
Fiona Bassingthwaighte’s masculine silhouette combines wide legged pants over this awesome military coat. Softened by the striped shirt and refined loafer, the trench coat shows this lady means business.
Coat: Hunky Dory, Shirt, Pants and Belt: FRAME, Tank: Enza Costa, Bag: Alexander Wang, Shoes: Witchery, Sunglasses: Prada.
Jill Lansky rocks this military trench coat with a pair of high-wasted jeans and a simple tee. Her block-heeled boots in brown suede complete this casual look, adding a contrast in colour.
Military trench: Chloe, T-shirt, Madewell, Boots: Zara, Jeans: Aritzia
Silvia Zamora marries the classical nautical stripe with the military pea coat. Accessorised with strapped trainers and that gorgeous YSL bag, this is one seriously chic look for Fall.
Coat: Balmain, Jumpsuit: Topshop, Striped T-shirt: Lovers and Friends, Sneakers: Sandro, Sunglasses: Max Mara, watch: Marc Jacobs, Bag: YSL