Hot spiced drinks, comfy sweaters and crisp frosty mornings– this winter season is all about stepping out in luxurious textures, bold colours and time-honoured silhouettes. Look no further for your winter style guide to 2016/2017. We’ve got you covered for all the essential trends of this chilly season.
Winter Trends 2016/2017
Historically, fashion has provided an avenue for women to express their personal aesthetic. In today’s world of infinite choices, this is more relevant than ever. This year, winter style embraces experimenting with different personas, classic feminine figures and archetypes. Whether your flannel is a throwback to a simpler time, or you prefer to lounge in your best furs, this season’s fashion is sure to inspire new attitudes and perspectives.
- Oversized trench coats – Get swallowed up in a big, cozy trench for your daily go-to street look. Lighter neutrals such as taupe, beige, cream and heather grey are especially popular.
- Cord – The scene is set with cord jackets, vests and skirts in navy blue, camel, mustard, burgundy and coffee brown. Black cord trousers are the perfect departure from your standard skinny jeans.
- Shoulder Cut-Outs – We love the cut-out trend for its unexpected and playful sensuality. This winter season, try a variety of sweaters and dresses with shoulder and arm cut-outs, including leather and button details.
- Velvet – Velvet adds timeless elegance to any outfit. We especially love velvet in midnight blue.
- Military Chic – A modern twist on olive green and navy blue jackets feature fun details like high collars, structured shoulders, patches, zippers and metallic buttons.
- 80’s Fashion – This style is all about volume, bold patterns, bright colours and off-the-shoulder ruffles. Channel your Hilary from Fresh Prince with pointed fuchsia pumps and suit jackets with exaggerated collars and lapels.
- Girlish Shapes – Pleats, ruffles, lace, and translucent overlays abound. This trend looks phenomenal in a long pleated silk skirt, or a sheer updated version of the button-up collared shirt.
- Appliques and Embroidery – The thick textiles of the cold season are just the thing to carry heavier details like appliques and embroidery, in romantic swirling florals, sequins and metallics.
Winter Style: Must-have Winter Fashion Accessories
During the dark days of winter, you may be tempted to throw on whatever will get you through a rainy day. Spruce up your look by adding these warm and practical accessories. Choose bright, colourful styles to add a pop of colour and upgrade your look in flash.
- Over-Sized Scarf – A big, soft scarf can double as a shawl or a poncho, and a luxurious cashmere blend can be dressed up or down.
- Over-the-Knee Boots – Definitely one of the hottest trends in streetwear right now, namely for their versatility. Try a pair in slate grey or deep terracotta over skinny jeans or leggings.
- Embellished Hair Ties – Chances are, you ditched your scrunchie ages ago. Sleek hair ties of today feature velvet, floral, rhinestones, feathers and sequins.
- Leather – Accessories like industrial style belts, cuffs and chokers give a shoutout to the menswear trend, and provide a classic edge to any day or night fashion.
- Ankle Booties – High-heeled ankle booties with fringe, studs, chains and other metallic details are glamourous and low-key cool.
- Thigh-High Stockings – Make stockings your new cold-weather best friend. Over leggings, tights, jeans or bare legs, these knit socks are charming and feminine.
- Beanies – The beanie is no longer reserved for laid back and punk styles. These oversized knit hats are everywhere, in a variety of shades and styles to complement any outfit and keep your hair climate-controlled.
Winter Outfit Ideas
On especially cold mornings, it can be super hard to drag yourself out of bed. Combat a case of the blahs by treating your wonderful self. This can take the form of a pear chocolate breakfast muffin with honey butter… Or an especially cute outfit. Looking good can have a tremendous benefit to your mood, and give you the radiant glow of confidence. Here are some of our favourite styles to look and feel brilliant.
- Pleated Skirt – A pleated skirt, long or short, pairs well with a sweater or cardigan, and can be dressed up or down with sneakers or patent leather sling-backs.
- Classic Sweatshirt – Praise the comfortable cotton crewneck for its moment of versatility in the fashion world. Many new styles incorporate lace and leather details. Wear it with skinny jeans and over-the-knee boots.
- Sweater and Miniskirt – An over-sized knit sweater looks playful and comfortable over a denim, leather or cord miniskirt. Add coloured tights and high-heeled boots for date night or drinks with the girls.
- Night Out – An easy and casual look for dinner and drinks is a fitted mini dress with tights, a moto jacket and a big scarf or shawl. Add a pair of studded ankle booties.
- Athleisure – Thank goodness we can get away with athletic wear outside of the gym. Float from yoga class to brunch in crimson leggings, a slouchy black beanie, stockings, furry boots and a soft grey sweater with shoulder cut-outs.
- Holiday Cocktail Party – A simple velvet minidress in burgundy or midnight blue is adorable and perfect with patterned tights. Pair it with an embellished suit jacket.
So, this winter, as you’re wrapping twinkle lights around a blue spruce and wondering how to stay warm on your walk to work or night of barhopping, keep our ideas in mind. Honestly, we’re feeling like anything goes and this is no time to play it safe. What’s your favourite trend this season and how do you make it yours?
Featured Photo: Julia Toivola steps out in leather moto pants, vinyl statement booties and a big, soft grey trenchcoat. This look is warm and versatile, topped off by a snowy white beanie.
Coat: The Lab, Pants: Tommy Hilfiger x Gigi, Hat: Cubus, Sunglasses: Céline, Shirt: Lindez, Gloves: Zara, Shoes: H&M
We are loving Emma Hill’s winter aesthetic, which simply screams ‘classic elegance’! Pair a sweater dress with leather leggings, boots, and an oversized scarf to give this look a go!
Dress: Like To Know It.
Another simple winter style is demonstrated by Petra here, who has stripped her look back to basics, in a beige sweater, black jeans, and a dark overcoat to contrast white socks and sneakers. We love the contrasting colours of this style.
Sweater: H&M, Coat: All Saints, Sneakers: Adidas.
Weronika Załazińska is rocking this daring winter style, in a striking faux fur coat and a pair of leather trousers which look totally hardcore! Wear a look like this with a white shirt and leather boots to steal Weronika’s awesome winter style.
Coat/Shirt: NA-KD, Trousers: Zara, Boots: Stradivarius.
Helena Glazer kills it in this cute winter style, consisting of distressed denim jeans, an oversized camel coat, and spike heeled booties for that perfect edgy feel!
Coat: Mackage, Bodysuit: Only Hearts, Denim: Levis, Belt: Saint Laurent, Booties: Louboutin.
Sasha Simon keeps it casual in this gorgeously simple winter outfit, consisting of skinny jeans, a classic camel coat, and a pair of over the knee boots in a velvety style! Pair this look with a leather bag to steal Sasha’s winter aesthetic.
Brands not specified.
You cannot go wrong with a beanie! A fact proven by Jean Wang in this adorable winter style, consisting of a tweed overcoat, worn with over the knee boots and tights for a cute seasonal look.
Coat: Chicwish, Hat: J Crew, Boots: Charles David.
Jenny Tsang keeps it sleek, casual and authentic in this smart winter style consisting of mom jeans, a grey sweater and a tomboy style maxi coat. We love the charmingly boyish nature of this look!
Coat: The Fifth Label, Top: Banana Republic, Jeans: ReDone.
Erica Hoida rocks a classic winter colour scheme here, in a gorgeously rich plum overcoat and black leather leggings. This is a style which is ideal for everyday winter wear, as not only is it warm, but it also oozes glamour!
Jacke/Camisolet: Sezane, Vest: Style Stalker, Pants: Helumt Lang, Shoes: Sole Society.
Maria Vizuete is wearing one of this winter’s hottest new trends; the faux fur vest! This black piece adds a whole new dimension of glamour to Maria’s casual everyday style, and we love it!
Vest/Jeans: Topshop, Top: Banana Republic, Boots: Sam Edelman, Bag: Louis Vuitton.
Sofya Benzakour keeps it casual and sleek in a predominantly monochrome outfit consisting of a pair of black jeans, a knitted sweater, and a grey blazer. Wear this look with leather boots to capture Sofya’s street chic style!
Vest: Reiko, Trousers: River Island, Bag: Monki.
Adriana Gastélum is a winter vision in a dark, sophisticated outfit consisting of a longline slitted top, black underskirt, and a pair of sexy over the knee suede boots. Wear this look with a pair of shades to steal this style!
Dress:Topshop, Boots: Chinese Laundry, Bag: Saint Laurent.
Nina rocks another winter classic here, in a super cosy grey parka, paired with distressed jeans and sneakers for a casual winter style. Wear this look with a beanie and minimal jewellery to steal Nina’s aesthetic.
Nothing screams winter chic more than a faux fur coat! Emilie Tømmerberg looks a dream in this gorgeous camel piece, worn with chunky black laced boots and tights for an edgy take on a classic look!
Brands not specified.
Zoé Alalouch looks stellar in this gorgeous winter style, consisting of black denim jeans, a light blue jacket, and an oversized scarf for that classic christmas feel. Wear this look with leather boots to steal Zoe’s style.
Vest: Vila, Top: Lola Mademoiselle D, Jeans: Paige, Boots: Windsor Smith.
Jess Ann Kirby is the ultimate image of winter glamour in this outfit, consisting of grey marl leggings and a matching top, a leather cross body bag, and a gorgeous coat with a faux fur collar for that warmth you crave.
Brands not specified.
Federica L. stuns us in this utterly captivating faux fur coat, worn with a cute knit top and leather leggings for a simplistic but glamorous winter style. We love the striking nature of this coat; an absolute must-have this season.
Natalia Cabezas is wearing a gorgeous winter classic here; in a red and green tartan maxi dress. Paired with sneakers for a modern take on a traditional style, this dress simply screams winter chic!
Dress: Zara, Top: NA-KD, Bag: Balenciaga, Sneakers: Adidas Stan Smith.
Katarzyna Tusk is rocking a classic winter style here, in a thick grey coat and a gorgeous chunky knit scarf to match. Wear a look such as this with skinny jeans or leggings and thigh high boots to get that sexy edge!
Leggings/Boots: Mango, Purse: Zara, Coat: Answear.com.
Felicia Åkerström keeps it fairly casual in this cosy winter style, consisting of a white polo neck sweater, denim jeans, and a cute black overcoat. Wear a look such as this when you want to be comfortable, classy, and keep warm!
Coat: Lioness, Denim: Asos, Boots: Plt.
Kenza Zouiten keeps it smart casual in this gorgeous monochrome style, consisting of a striped tee, shearling suede jacket, and a pair of simple leggings. Wear this look with a cross body bag to steal Kenza’s style.
Jacket: Acne Studios, Tights: Ginatricot, Sweater: Make Way, Bag: Chanel, Boots: Anine Bing.
Gold details add interest to this lux street style. Nina looks iconic in an exquisite camel coat and leather leggings.
Coat: Marc’o Polo, Scarf: Acne, Shirt: Asos, Pants: BCBGMAXAZRIA, Boots: Bronx, Bag: Saint Laurent, Sunglasses: Le Specs
A lace undershirt, sheer black tights and layers of jewelry make this look cool and sensual. Black over-the-knee boots and a fur coat are essential statement pieces to incorporate into any winter wardrobe. Via Federica L.
Sweater, Skirt & Jacket: Chicwish, Shirt: Stradivarius, Boots: H&M, Necklaces: Lily’s Creations, Maria Pascual, Rings: Lily’s Creations, Be Maad, Thomas Sabo, Watch: Klarf
Moda Tutkusu rocks stripes and an army jacket. Cropped pants give this look a casual vibe that highlights her killer studded ankle boots.
Jacket: Anine Bing
This timeless style emphasizes clean lines and pure colours, making Lydia look polished and classic.
Anine Bing opts for a chunky salt-and-pepper speckled knit scarf and a little red bag for a pop of colour. Black skinny jeans with worn-through knees are the go-to streetwear pants of the moment.
Scarf, Jeans, Boots: Anine Bing, Bag: Chanel
In muted beige and taupe hues, Jessi Afshin looks precious in a baggy sweater over leggings, highlighted by the sunny red and creamy yellow shades of her over-sized scarf.
Shirt: Dreamers by Debut, Scarf: Free People, Jeans: Frame, Boots: Steve Madden, Bag: Rebecca Minkoff, Sunglasses: Quay Australia x Desi Perkins, Watch: Larsson & Jennings
An effortless city style, this over-sized taupe trench complements distressed boyfriend style jeans and white sneakers. Casual tousled hair makes this look low-key and approachable. Via Federica L.
Coat: H&M, Sweater & Shoes: Missguided, Jeans: Zara, Rings: Lily’s Creations, Cross Model, Be Maad, Thomas Sabo, Earrings: Lily’s Creations
Lene Orvik is sweet and Sunday chic in comfy boots and a creamy tunic sweater. A perfect example of athletic wear as lounge wear, these white leggings are versatile and adorable.
Christine Andrew looks stunning in this simple, refined style. Sleek over-the-knee boots, classic denim and cold shoulders accentuate her slim figure.
Sweater, Jeans & Sunglasses: Ily Couture, Boots: Stuart Weitzman, Bag: M2Malletier
A black outfit of leather and denim is complemented by nude accessories. The volume of the turtleneck is balanced by her topknot bun hairstyle. Via Helena Glazer.
Jacket: Mackage, Sweater: Banana Republic, Pants: Rag & Bone, Shoes: Aquazzura, Bag and Sunglasses: Céline
Deep earth tones provide a sensational contrast to this luxurious white cashmere coat. Abundant silver jewelry plays up the sophisticated boho vibe of this style. Via Erica Hoida.
Scarf and Coat: Burberry
Patricia Exner is classic and sophisticated in a long olive green jacket and belted dress. We love the subtle pop of colour provided by her turquoise earrings.
Coat and Dress: Ivy & Oak
Jess Ann Kirby sports leather leggings with olive suede booties. This cashmere oatmeal-coloured cape is a beautiful and distinct piece for winter.
Cape: Autumn Cashmere, Pants: Paige, Turtleneck: BP., Boots: Marc Fisher LTD, Watch: Larsson & Jennings, Bag: Coach 1941
Danielle Bernstein is a vision in charcoal grey and camel. We love the way a simple fitted white tee accentuates the lavish hue of her jacket.
Jean Wang chooses slate grey for her winter fashion. The cream of her turtleneck plus black denim gives the right amount of depth and dimension to this generally monochromatic, versatile style.
Coat: Chicwish, Boots: Stuart Weitzman, Jeans: J.Brand, Sweater: Banana Republic, Bag: Goyard