Velvet material was seen all over the fall runways, this time around it’s more luxurious, colourful and versatile than ever before. Velvet is one of the few materials that is both comfortable but can also add some instant glamour to your outfit. With the festive season fast approaching we’ll help you to be the best dressed with our tips on how to wear the velvet trend.
How To Wear A Velvet Dress
Velvet dresses are back with vengeance: this season they’re more fluid and feminine then before. Many designers from Prada to Preen showcased velvet dresses on the runway, in an array of colors and silhouettes. There’s a few versions of the velvet dress for you to experiment with; opt for something a little longer for a sophisticated ladylike look or a short and playful ruffled number as shown in Preen. To avoid feeling overwhelmed by fabric, don’t over-layer your look. Pair your velvet dress with a sleek and elegant mac and a cashmere scarf for a cosy feel during the winter months.
One of the best qualities of the little velvet dress is that it’s the perfect style to easily take from day to night.
- Dress down in the day by pairing your velvet dress with a blazer or go super casual with a leather jacket for a sumptuous play with textures.
- In the evening coordinate your dress with pointy stilettos, a statement clutch bag and some red lippy
- Feel festive with a red velvet dress and make it chic by wearing it with a simple black chocker and black strappy heels
- If you’re a girly girl, then wear a pink velvet mini dress with metallic heels for a look worthy of a Disney princess
- If dresses are not quite your thing then opt for a velvet jumpsuit like the one seen on Cara Delevingne at the MTV movie awards
How To Wear Velvet Shoes & Boots
Velvet boots are falls statement shoe. Keep the rest of your outfit neutral or even monochrome so that your shoes do all the talking. Take style inspiration from Gigi Hadid who was seen out and about in a head to toe denim look with red velvet boots to add a pop of color. If you’re bored of leather or satin stilettos then good news, velvet stilettos are having a moment this fall. Brands such as Jason Wu and Philip Lim have brought out velvet shoes that we are in love with.
- Our favourite way to wear velvet boots is with casual jeans, a vintage style tee and an oversized jacket for a rock princess look
- For a casual evening look co-ordinate black leather pants with a black tee or silk vest and top your look off with blue velvet boots
- For a sultry evening look wear strappy velvet sling backs with a thigh high slit dress and complete with a little metallic clutch
- Wear bright velvet knee high boots with skinny jeans and a black crop top or bodysuit for a sultry evening outfit
The Cool Velvet Accessories You Need
Accessories are probably the easiest way to make a simple and easy fashion statement. The choker has made its comeback; this fall velvet chokers will be all the rage. Play with different styles for thin to thick ones. If you’re looking for a cosy new scarf for fall then try a velvet number from Anna Sui’s collection, it’s a simple way to add a touch of luxury to your outfit.
Our favourite velvet fall accessory is the velvet bag. Calvin Klein has debuted a stunning red number complete with gold colored hardware. If you want a stand out bag then have a look at Fendi’s embroidered velvet peekaboo bag. For all of you fashionistas that want to be ahead of the rest, pair your velvet bag or choker with a longline velvet blazer for the ultimate forward thinking ensemble.
- Match your velvet chocker with a little black dress for a modern yet classic evening look
- Wear a thick velvet choker with an off the shoulder blouse for a girly look
- The velvet bag can be taken from day to night, in the evening dress it up with jewellery and a pair of killer heels
- Add a pop of color to your work outfit by adding a cosy velvet scarf
- If you’re a total fashionista pair this seasons velvet thigh high boots with distressed jeans, a shearling coat and top of the look with a glamorous velvet bag
Velvet is set to be one of the biggest trends of the season so whether it’s crushed velvet boots or an embroidered bag, it’s a great way try something new. Let us know how you plan on rocking the trend this fall.
Featured Photo: Ashley Madekwe is seen in a cute, girly velvet dress. The length is perfect for a day dress and can be paired with tights and boots in the winter.
Dress: Topshop Unique, Blouse: Zara, Jacket: Balenciaga, Shoes: Senso