Since its red carpet heyday in the 1990’s, the slip dress trend has made an iconic comeback this season. Alexander Wang, Burberry and Paco Rabanne have all featured this classic dress in their latest collections.
However, we know that the slip dress isn’t an easy one to pull off. With its silky figure hugging design, it can be quite daunting trying to wear a dress which quite frankly looks like lingerie. But, have no fear, because we have some fabulous tips so that you can wear this definitive dress with a new found confidence.
Ways To Wear Slip Dresses
There are hundreds of ways to wear a slip dress but these celebrity inspired tips will have you rocking this iconic 90s look with a splash of 21st century pizazz.
- Discover your inner Kate Moss and team up your slinky number with a warm knitted jumper for those chilly winter days
- A pair of jeans. It may sound a little laid back but if you don’t feel comfortable wearing a slip dress all by itself, then adding a pair of skinny jeans over the skirt will give you a sophisticated two piece outfit
- Don’t be afraid to hide that waist, grab a belt, wrap it round the slip dress and show off your features
- Combine a short slip dress with an oversized shirt or blazer and top it off with a trilby hat to really set yourself apart from the crowd
- Wear it long. For an evening out on the town, nothing speaks glamour more than a floor length dress with a glitzy clutch
What Shoes To Wear With A Slip Dress
Again, this can be a tricky decision. If you’re opting for a short to midi length slip dress then we’d recommend avoiding strappy heels and going for something slightly more unexpected. Take a look at these alternatives for some inspiration.
- For comfy, happy feet, a pretty pair of flat pumps will complement your glamourous dress perfectly. Match it with wavy locks and natural make up for a flawless look
- If you’re after something a little more fashionista, try a pair of ankle boots completed with a denim jacket; you’ll certainly turn heads with this number
- Bring back the classic slip dress your way with some comfy sneakers
- H&M made catwalk headlines with their 2016 Winter/Fall collection recently, teaming a silk dress with knee length boots for a bold yet elegant appearance
So though the slip dress may seem like a daring addition to the wardrobe, it really can be worn in many, many ways making it a fashion must have this fall. What is your favourite way to wear a slip dress?
For a little more inspiration, take a look at how these fashion bloggers are styling their slip dresses this season.
Featured Photo: Lisa Olsson opts for layers this fall with a white t-shirt and baggy cardigan teamed up with some converse for a comfy day time look.
Shoes: Converse, Dress: Sisters The Label, Bag: Chanel, T-shirt & choker: ASOS here &here, Cardigan: Lindex.