A timeless feminine symbol, lately the choker necklace is seeing a serious revival. One of the signature styles of 2016, this important moment in fashion can’t be missed. We’ll show you how to play up this versatile accessory to express yourself and join the league of fashion royalty.
Should I Wear A Choker?
An iconic accessory throughout the ages, chokers bring us visions of Disney princesses and the casual chic of 90’s grunge. Today, we’re seeing countless styles, from the extravagant floral jewels of Oscar de la Renta to the fearless gothic pendants of Fenty x Puma by Rihanna. Whether transforming a simple outfit or adding an elegant detail, this accessory does it all.
- Chokers enhance your natural beauty by accentuating the structure of your jaw, cheeks and collar bones. Experiment with different widths to find the styles to best complement your features.
- Go from office to cocktail hour by layering more mixed-media pieces over your simple black choker.
- Chokers give new life to old treasures from your jewelry box. Layer with other lengths of necklaces or play around by attaching different pendants and charms.
- If you’re a lover of fabrics and textiles, put your own DIY spin on this trend by cutting an old silk scarf lengthwise, or re-fashioning a bandana.
- Embrace the raw crystal and gem trend. Many styles of chokers incorporate crystals, or slide on your own teardrop shaped quartz pendant.
What To Wear With A Black Choker
A classic black choker is a great place to start, and can easily become your new daily staple. Instantly transform a plain black choker into a high-fashion statement by adding your own pendant. From day to night, we see black chokers in every context. Here are some of our favorites.
- Black Shoelace Choker: Wrapped around two or three times with a small bow, pair the casual black shoelace choker with a stone-washed jean jacket, Vans and a plaid
- Black Velvet Choker: Black velvet turns your party dress into a holiday treat, and looks especially luxurious with jewel tones like emerald or ruby.
- Black and Lavender: Pair a black choker with a breezy blouse in a floral shade of lilac, lavender or orchid. Play up this cool contrast of hard and soft by adding a black leather jacket.
- Black and White: For a sophisticated and modern look, wear a slim black choker with a creamy ivory blouse or simple white tee.
Choker Outfit Ideas
No matter your personal style, a choker is sure to complement your coveted wardrobe. The trick is to find the right proportions. During the colder seasons, a thick choker can serve as an extension of your scarf or high-collared jacket or, wear it over a turtleneck. Balance a plunging neckline, deep v-neck or off-the-shoulder blouse with multi-wrap or layered style.
- Layering lots of mixed-media pieces is so trendy right now. Choose pieces with shells, beads and gems to compliment the relaxed sensuality and low neckline of a nude or earth-toned slip dress.
- Large metallic cuff chokers are high-fashion warrior chic. For a night out, couple this bold accessory with a black strapless dress and sleek ponytail.
- A leather belt-style choker is an ultra-modern twist on the utility trend. To streamline this style, take it to the office with a classic button-up shirt, cigarette pants and pumps.
- The scarf-style choker, like we’ve seen in Dior’s collection, is super easy to DIY. You can wear these thick or thin– with ends hidden in the back, knotted and dangling in the front, or in a flirty oversized bow. A lightweight scarf choker looks fresh with a breezy sundress and wedges.
- A faux fur choker adds a dose of luxury to cozy fall and winter styles. Wear a fur choker with a high-necked trench coat, leggings and ballet flats.
- Re-purpose a bandana by tying it around your neck with a cute asymmetrical knot. So bad it’s good, this look is especially cool with a leather jacket, distressed skinny jeans and studded biker boots.
- Feel like a queen in an extravagant diamond choker. These dynamic pieces can be dressed up or down, but we especially like its sophisticated richness with a crisp black blazer and stilettos.
Whether your agenda includes a museum gallery show or packing a picnic lunch for the park, we hope our ideas will inspire you to incorporate the choker trend into your look. Let us know, what is the most creative way that you wear a choker? What are your favorite designer choker styles from the runway?
Featured photo: Olive green brings military chic to streetwear, polished off by a matching watch and crisp white sneakers. A simple black choker is paired with a delicate silver chain, complemented by the open neck of this soft black blouse. Via Kristin Sundberg.
Jacket and Shirt: Cubus, Bag: Givenchy, Sunglasses: Rayban