Our favorite outfit accessory in 2016 so far is a pair of loafers. Sturdy but stylist, they are an underestimated addition to any look. Hailing from the 1900s, did you know that penny loafers originally got their name because wearers would slip a penny inside the slot on the front? But you certainly don’t need to worry about being old-fashioned, as this season loafer outfits have been seen on designer catwalks everywhere, from Alexander Wang to Tommy Hilfiger. With their comfortable slip-on, slip-off design, they are the perfect shoe for lazy fashionistas. And they are guaranteed to add an unexpected and quirky twist to any ensemble.
Loafers With Jeans
Adding a pair of loafers completes any casual outfit, and they are ideal for giving your staple jeans and T-shirt combo a more vintage appeal.
- Wear your loafers with a pair of frayed skinny jeans and a button-down top – the masculine edge of the loafers perfectly sets off your outfit.
- Throw an oversized cardigan over your jeans and to nail two trends in one outfit, add a matching fedora.
- Wear your loafers with a pair of slouchy boyfriend jeans. You could add a loose jumper to complete the androgynous look, or offset it with a delicate pastel blouse.
- For the ultimate off-duty look, a pair of denim overalls works surprisingly well with a pair of loafers.
Alternative Loafer Outfits
Quirky and unique twists on the original loafer design are everywhere this season, and we are loving this new trend!
- Look for a pair of loafers with extra detail, such as a tassel or studs, to really take your outfit to the next level.
- We’ve also seen fur-covered loafers, to give your outfit a really unusual twist. To put the emphasis on cozy comfort, wear yours with a thick jumper and add an oversized scarf.
- To shake up your standard office attire, wear a pair of beige loafers with a pencil skirt or belted knee-length dress. So much more comfortable than heels!
- Metallic loafers are another smarter take on the shoe – pair with a leather jacket and a LBD for your next night out on the town.
- A pair of white loafers is perfect for an eye-catching outfit. Wear with a striped shirt and black jeans for a slightly nautical theme.
Styling Loafers For All Seasons
Another key reason to invest in a pair of loafers is they truly do transcend the seasons. Come rain or shine, loafers will take you through all seasons while still looking chic!
- Go for an ultra-preppy look with a pleated skirt, black woolly tights and high collared shirt to keep you all wrapped up in winter.
- For those in-between seasons, a leather jacket works really well with loafers for an edgier but casual look.
- In summer team your loafers with some denim shorts and a floaty, summery top – you could also add a sunhat to keep cool.
- This season, try wearing loafers with a floral tea dress to give a slightly more boyish feel to the whole ensemble.
With their versatile design, a good pair of loafers will take you from the boardroom to the bar and everything in between. Is there any outfit you can’t wear them with?
Featured Image: Looking for another way to wear a pair of leather loafers? Why not try pairing them with an oversized knit sweater like Katarina Lilius! This look is cosy, casual, and ultra stylish.
Sweater: Zara, Blouse: H&M, Jeans: Monki, Loafers: Old, Sunglasses: Monki.