Currently frog-marching its way back to the high street, the military jacket returns as a hot-ticket favourite this season. This jacket is no stranger to the catwalk and has been spotted in recent fashion shows from Gucci to Burberry (the original maker of the trench coat). Inspiration for designers this season comes from 18th century French and British uniforms, navy trench and peacoats, and navy jackets.
So what can you expect?
Like the band jackets worn by rock stars like Jimi Hendrix or Michael Jackson, the more “embellished” jackets use the bling of gold buttons, braiding and rope. If this doesn’t take your fancy, other designers have adopted silhouettes with simple brass buttons, or simple piping around pockets and necklines. Whatever your preference, there is a military jacket for everyone. The only restriction is your imagination.
Styles Of The Military Jacket You’ll Want In Your Wardrobe
The key aim is to find a military jacket that suits your style this season. Read our list of top tips to help you in selecting that one military jacket that is a must for your wardrobe. Consider the following tips when searching for the perfect look.
- Double breasted is all the rage, but single buttoned tailored silhouettes are popular alternatives
- God is in the detail – if you love a bit of drama and glamour find a military jacket that is embellished with gold braid on the sleeves, epaulettes and jacket front
- For those of us who prefer the “less is more approach”, consider a military inspired jacket with gold flat round buttons down the front and on the sleeve
- Play with proportions. Consider the peacoat for a boxier, shorter military jacket, with its characteristic vertical pockets in the front
- Consider a slimmer silhouette for a sexier look, or a tailored jacket for work
- Looking for a more casual style? Consider an oversized military jacket with less tailoring
- For outerwear look no further than the trench – decide on whether you would prefer ankle length or mid-thigh. Either is an acceptable length for protecting us from the elements
- What about a sleeveless jacket that fastens through the front with brass buttons?
- Also consider colour- blue, black and red are more common, but burgundy is on the rise. Or why not inject a burst of colour with a poppy red/orange?
- Consider wool, leather and denim.
Ways To Wear The Military Jacket
If you have already bought a military jacket, or are seriously considering doing so, here are some helpful tips on ways to make the most of your look.
- For a causal look, wear a pair of distressed jeans, ripped or not, with an oversized military blazer
- Dress up your tailored military jacket with matching suit trousers or skirts for work
- Add a silk shirt and wide legged pant to wear under a trench coat
- Wear a bra-let under your double breasted military jacket, with skinny pants and hair out on your next romantic night out
- Match up a jacket with a mini skirt to be right on trend. Wear a pair of shorts instead to create a more preppy look
- Create a monochromatic look from head to toe, adding accents of gold in its buttons and belts
- Wear a shirt dress under your military jacket, nipped in at the waist with a narrow belt
- Add coloured shirts to complement the colour of braid on the sleeve
- Wear nautical stripes in t-shirts or shirts to enhance the military theme
- Layer the look with a light-weight military jacket and a trench coat for outdoors
Adding The Right Shoes And Accessories To Your Military Jacket
Accessories are minimal, given the military jacket accessories itself. Consider your choice of shoes, bags and glasses to complement your look.
- For a more business approach, add a serious loafer or pump to a military jacket and pair of cropped trousers
- Add a pair of trainers or slip-ons for a casual look
- Try a strappy heel with tight leather pants and tailored military jacket
- Add accents of gold to sunglasses, handbag straps, bracelets or watches to coordinate with the gold buttons in an all-black outfit
- Wear a pair of over-the-knee black boots with a short dress or skirt, and military blazer
- Wear your military jacket with pants and an ankle boot in suede, black or brown
- Accessorise with aviators to keep the military theme alive. Failing that consider oversize dark sunglasses.
These tips will help you decide on the perfect military jacket for you this season. Play around with the large choice of styles, colours, lengths and cuts until you find the perfect jacket to style and make your own. Whatever you choose, chose the right shoe to make a killer statement wherever you go. So go forth, keep calm and soldier on!
Featured Photo: Paola Alberdi has created a monochromatic look, with accents of gold in both the buttons and braiding of this military jacket. She places the jacket over a ribbed knit dress and finishes the look with patent heeled ankle boots and Ray Ban aviators.
Jacket: Storets, Dress: UK Glamorous, Sunglasses: Raybans, Chloe: Handbag, Shoes: Max Mara