How to Dress Cute in Cold Weather
The key to winter fashion is to play with textures and proportion. Here are some ideas on how:
- Balance a warm, but bulky, coat with streamlined leggings that make your legs look slim.
- On the other hand, if you’re wearing chunky snow boots, wear a tailored jacket up top.
- Find a coat that stays close to your body and falls below the knee. Its streamlined silhouette is a practical way to look chic and elegant.
- Use different fabrics for winter style with an edge. While it might not keep you warm, a hint of lace or velvet in winter adds a touch of femininity to traditional sweater fabrics: think a lace skirt under a wool sweater.
How to Dress for the Cold Fashionably
Winter fashion style is all about layers. Not only do they keep you cozy, they also let you experiment with different pieces. Here are a few layering tips to inspire you:
- When it comes to fashion, it’s okay to break the rules. If it’s not too cold, you can play into the current ’90s trend by wearing denim on denim. Our favorite tip: try contrasting dark and light colored denim.
- One of 2017’s biggest trends is the turtleneck, and for extra warmth, it pairs well with a chunky sweater. Make sure the turtleneck is slim-fitting to avoid extra bulk.
- Don’t be afraid to play with color. Sure, black on black on black matches, but what about different tones of pink or white? A grey sweater under a grey coat can look particularly elegant. It can also be fun to play with different combinations.
- Layer up in wool or cashmere if you can. They might be more expensive, but they’re so light and warm they should definitely be on your winter fashion must-have list.
Cold Weather Fashion Tips
The biggest winter fashion tip is to not forget your accessories. Not only do they stop the warmth from escaping your body, they’re also a great way to add a pop to your outfit. Here are some of our favorite ways to wear them:
- Hats keep our heads warm, and while a beanie is traditional cold weather gear, you shouldn’t be afraid to experiment with other styles. A wool fedora always looks classy, or you could try a baseball cap to add street edge to your winter fashion.
- A statement scarf is an easy way to brighten up a plain winter outfit. Bold patterns, bright colors and cheeky prints are a good place to start.
- Gloves will keep your hands warm, but do you want elegant, ’50s-style leather gloves or a more sporty ski style? Either way, they should be an essential part of your outfit.
- Just like a scarf, you can also use your bag to make a quirky fashion statement. Pick something in a contrasting color to make it stand out.
Whether it’s snowing or just plain cold, we want to know how you’re staying warm.
Featured Photo: It may be winter in the city, but Amy Jackson knows how to add some warmth, via a rust colored coat.
Coat: Zara, Sweater: Ann Taylor, Pants: Zara, Booties: H&M, Handbag: Gucci, Sunglasses: Celine.